How 'bout a little more of James Mitchell?

MeanGreenZen

With SuperJamario running more like Princess Toadstool this season, is anyone else wondering why James Mitchell isn’t getting more carries?

The guy always, always, always falls forward. I’ve never seen him lose yardage. Not even at practice.

Heck, over his career he has gained 273 yards on 51 carries. That’s 5.3 yards a carry!!! That's better than:

Cedric Benson, Texas, 4.98 ypc

Marcus Allen, USC, 5.24 ypc

Herschel Walker, Georgia, 5.29 ypc

If Jamario or Patrick Cobbs is leading the nation in rushing I don’t mind having that type of production wasting away on the bench, but that is hardly the case this season. Jamario and Evan Robertson are averaging less than 4 yards a carry this year.

With our offensive line, it would seem a runner who can make something out of nothing would be more valuable. I know Mitchell is utilized on special teams and as a lead blocker, but we could kinda use his talent with the ball in his hands, too.

Did you see how hard he hit the hole when he finally got a carry against La Tech? Remember when he exploded for 166 yards rushing in the mud against Arkansas State two years ago?

There is not enough talent on this team to keep the ball out of James Mitchell’s hands.

P.S. – Can anyone else believe Dickey uses the most run-based offense in the state of Texas but couldn’t even sign a single running back to play in it last year. Wow!!! Pick it up Darrell!

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

With SuperJamario running more like Princess Toadstool this season, is anyone else wondering why James Mitchell isn’t getting more carries?

The guy always, always, always falls forward. I’ve never seen him lose yardage. Not even at practice.

Heck, over his career he has gained 273 yards on 51 carries. That’s 5.3 yards a carry!!! If Jamario or Patrick Cobbs is leading the nation in rushing I don’t mind having that type of production wasting away on the bench, but that is hardly the case this season. Jamario and Evan Robertson are averaging less than 4 yards a carry this year.

With our offensive line, it would seem a runner who can make something out of nothing would be more valuable. I know Mitchell is utilized on special teams and as a lead blocker, but we could kinda use his talent with the ball in his hands, too.

Did you see how hard he hit the hole when he finally got a carry against La Tech? Remember when he exploded for 166 yards rushing in the mud against Arkansas State two years ago?

There is not enough talent on this team to keep the ball out of James Mitchell’s hands. 

P.S. – Can anyone else believe Dickey uses the most run-based offense in the state of Texas but couldn’t even sign a single running back to play in it last year. Wow!!! Pick it up Darrell!

I'll second that vote. And I'll also vote for the Green Team's OL to block for him. wink.gif

Peachey, Carlson, Banks, Drake and Tyler Bailey.

Two True Freshmen, Two Redshirt Freshmen and a Junior JUCO Transfer whose weights average 290 lbs.  Senior Ronnie Hull was in at TightEnd.

And how about a WHOLE LOT MORE JAMES MITCHELL!

Rick

The 2 true froshes have they played at all this year? If not I guess we just wasted a year of eligibility if DD does not play them in the final 3 games.

I totally agree James Mitchell was great out there and also in the A-state game two years ago....I watched that on t.v. and said wow NT just keeps producing great backs, you want to stay successul you have to play the best players in my opinion

I would put Mitchell as our starter with the green team OL, with Phillips as QB

I bet we win out if we do this....

THANKS FOR THE WORDS OF KINDNESS FOR MY SON , HE IS ONE OF THE HARDEST WORKERS ON THE TEAM, AND HAS A HEART AS BIG AS TEXAS, BUT RAMON FLANIGAN HAS DESTOYED HIS LOVE FOR THE GAME , I HAVE BEEN QUIET FOR 5 YEARS BUT I JUST HAD TO SAY THAT...

This hasn't been kept secret from DD. He's known how the team has felt about RF for quite some time. He's made the decision to keep RF around for several years, and so DD can take a big chunk of the responsibility for this horrendous situation.

Edited by SilverEagle

He may have destroyed his love for the game but fans certainly can't tell as hard as he goes on every down. Which has been a JM trait since he stepped foot on this campus. Many of the veteran lettermen who were there when JM first came to camp speak volumes how damn hard he played on every snap of the ball opening many an eye as to how talented he was as a freshman. They have never forgotten it, and neither will we.

Rick

Mitchell (whose 51 carries is a decent sample size) has a career yard-per-carry average better than:

Cedric Benson, Texas, 4.98 ypc

Marcus Allen, USC, 5.24 ypc

Herschel Walker, Georgia, 5.29 ypc

I’m not saying Mitchell should have won a Heisman while he was here, but he has proven he should be a bigger part of the offense than he has been.